Classes of hosting services
A hosting solution includes hoarding and/or sharing given web content on a web hosting server managed by a website hosting distributor. There are various sorts of hosting services used for various ends, so let's have a glimpse at them. In this way, you can elect what you want, on the basis of whether you wish to run a web page, e-mail box accounts, or to share files with comrades and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service supplied by some hosts, which allows you to share large files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single function is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a roll of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting plans often involve ads next to the download links, while a timer makes you await a particular amount of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you run a paid file storage plan, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no restriction when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting companies, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a totally erroneous explanation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would share the workload between independent groups of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending different website hosting services (mail, data storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web page hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is just a type of a disk space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; certain corporations provide a hosting service for images only. This hosting kind is good if you would like to share a great number of pictures with mates or partners since the solution is mostly free. You will get a random link for each and every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for web pages.
- E-mail hosting: a service devoted to handling your mail aliases. Some vendors provide hosting solutions for sites, but do not supply an email hosting solution. If you would like to run an email address with your domain name but do not wish to possess a web site, then the email hosting service is what you want. You can set up e-mail accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to some video clip, or you can embed the video file in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this method in lieu of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video brings about a specific amount of central processing unit load, so with a handful of video clips and several hundred site viewers, you may have a problem with your site hosting quotas. Embedding the video will enable you to have as many video clips as you want to without hassling about system reserves.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you require if you want to run a site. To a certain extent, it encompasses all of the aforementioned hosting brands since, along with your sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can run databases and email aliases, upload video files, and so on. At HostDestiny, for example, you can take a peek at web hosting and dedicated server hosting plans that allow you to have all of the aforesaid services in one place. There may be restrictions based on the kind of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your website hosting account may be better or worse compared with the normal e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are meant for specific web content exclusively.